The Lake District is a treasured place loved by us all, but it’s many visitors can have a damaging impact on the local environment and its natural beauty. We believe we have a responsibility to operate a business that aims to be as sustainable as possible, and also help increase awareness of our environmental impact on the area amongst our guests too.
To measure our progress we use an Independent Assessment scheme operated by Green Tourism who provide advice and guidance on the measures we can take to operate in a more sustainable way.
We were pleased to receive a Silver Award in March 2019 as a recognition of the start we have made on our journey to become a sustainable business. But we know we have more work to do and our aim is to hold a gold award by the end of 2020.
You can see evidence of our move towards becoming more sustainable in several ways:
- Providing information on local walks & cycle routes from the door of the B&B to cut down on transport miles
- Local Sourcing of food & drink from many suppliers in the Ambleside area
- Local sourcing of other consumables (e.g. Toiletries)
- Reduction in our energy consumption (low-energy bulbs, double-glazing, individual heating controls in each room)
- Reduction in our use of single-use plastic
- Diligent re-cycling of our, and our guests, waste packaging
- Contracting energy from a Renewable energy source
- Using appliances which are rated high for energy efficiency
- Increasing use of bio-friendly cleaning materials
- Installation in 2020 of a 7kW Electric Vehicle Charging Point
In addition we are proud to support the Lake District Foundation a local charity who fund a wide range of projects across Cumbria and who are passionate about sustaining it’s unique landscape, wildlife and cultural heritage.
In 2012 we donated £303.57 to the Lake District Foundation which was made up of guest donations (we have a donation box) and a £1 donation from ourselves for every single guest who books direct with us from our own website. We are proud to be one of their Business Supporters and pledge to raise a similar amount for the LDF in 2020. The money you help us raise really does make a diffrerence!
Some examples of recently funded LDF projects include:
- Lake District Osprey project
- Save our Squirrels
- Fix the Fells
- John Muir Trust Helvellyn Flora & Fauna project
- Keswick to Threlkeld Railway path
- Ullswater Way
- Barkbooth Lot Nature Reserve