The Lake District is a treasured place loved by us all, but it’s many visitors can have a damaging impact on the local environment and its natural beauty. We believe we have a responsibility to operate a business that aims to be as sustainable as possible, and also help increase awareness of our environmental impact on the area amongst our guests too.
To measure our progress we use an Independent Assessment scheme operated by Green Tourism who provide advice and guidance on the measures we can take to operate in a more sustainable way.
We were pleased to receive a Silver Award in March 2019 as a recognition of the start we have made on our journey to become a sustainable business. But we know we have more work to do and our aim is to hold a gold award by the end of 2020.
You can see evidence of our move towards becoming more sustainable in several ways:
- Providing information on local walks & cycle routes from the door of the B&B to cut down on transport miles
- Local Sourcing of food & drink from many suppliers in the Ambleside area
- Local sourcing of other consumables (e.g. Toiletries)
- Reduction in our energy consumption (low-energy bulbs, double-glazing, individual heating controls in each room)
- Reduction in our use of single-use plastic
- Diligent re-cycling of our, and our guests, waste packaging
- Contracting energy from a Renewable energy source
- Using appliances which are rated high for energy efficiency
- Increasing use of bio-friendly cleaning materials
In addition we are proud to support the Lake District Foundation a local charity who fund a wide range of projects across Cumbria and who are passionate about sustaining it’s unique landscape, wildlife and cultural heritage.
In 2019 we will donate £1 for every direct booking made at Haven Cottage to LDF funds. In addition, guests are also able to donate both at the point of booking and also via a donation box at reception. Our commitment is that we will raise a minimum of £250 in 2019 in aid of the Lake District Foundation.
Some examples of recently funded LDF projects include:
- Lake District Osprey project
- Save our Squirrels
- Fix the Fells
- John Muir Trust Helvellyn Flora & Fauna project
- Keswick to Threlkeld Railway path
- Ullswater Way
- Barkbooth Lot Nature Reserve